Howdy, and welcome to the ranch! Right, right, business. Okay, you have a question about level switch types that detect two conditions, high and high-high. 

We hear you! First a few words about level switches to those of you who are new to the subject.

What is a level switch?

A level switch (or float switch) is used to detect the level of liquid in a tank. At the end of this Q&A we give some specific recommendations as to where you can find the level switch you’re looking for. But to answer your question, here’s what we recommend:

The Endress + Hauser FTL51 point level switch

Try the point level switch FTL51 from Endress+Hauser. It has three conditions: “Put the matches back when you’re done” (minimum safety), “Put that back where you found it–oh, yuck–NOW” (maximum safety), and “Be your own mad scientist” (min/max control). A push of a button gets you what you need, so you can skip the fancy software.

Level Switch - Endress+Hauser
Courtesy of Endress+Hauser

You’ll need two, Thing One for the high and Thing Two for the high-high. Or you could chuck all that nonsense for a radar sensor like the FMR52 or the 5400, which will give you more control. Then you can save the level switch for that silly safety stuff Dad insists on.

Have fun with your acid!

Want to check out our recommendations above or find another level switch that suits your needs?

These companies manufacture all kinds of level switches

Other resources that might interest you

Want to learn more about chemistry? Check out all our Chemical & Petrochemical Q&As.

What more, here are some resources on level switches and other devices that might interest you:

FOUNDATION Fieldbus or HART? | Oil & Gas

Temperature measurement between two parts | Primaries & Metals

Recommended articles