Measuring boiler blowdown water?

Flow Q&A

Our boiler blowdown water is in a critical transition between water and steam, so the water has pockets of steam with the dissolved solids. What is the best way to measure the water? Will the vortex flow meter work?

Expert’s answer: What is the best way for measuring boiler blowdown water?

The best way for measuring boiler blowdown water? Let’s see if we can sort out this challenge. If you have non-conductive water, then you can apply a magmeter. An ultrasonic flow meter will present errors in the measurement, because of the transition between water and steam.

Ideally, you should install the flow meter far from the boiler, but you may wind up with a partially filled pipe. To keep the pipe filled with product, you’ll need specific types of installation, like the one you see below.

Partially filled pipe solution

The vortex will work very well in this application and could be a good choice. But before you choose your device, make sure you have all the process data you need to guarantee the best performance during the flow measurement.

Hope that answered your question on measuring boiler blowdown water!

And, have some vortex flow meters:

Other resources that might interest you

Replacing field critical instruments?
Should we schedule replacement for our critical valve accessories (like solenoid valves and limit switches) and critical process transmitters according to their projected lifespan?

Online diagnostic of vortex flow meter?
Is there any way to check my vortex flow meter online?

Vortex limitations
Is a vortex a good solution for measuring your air flow? What limitations does it have?

Vortex flow meters in low flow profile
What applications suit vortex meters best?

Related tags: Boiler Emerson Process Management Endress+Hauser Partially filled pipe Steam Vortex Yokogawa
Measuring boiler blowdown water?
Seven Vortex Flowmeters you should know
#LinkedInsights: Maximum Uncertainty of Orifice Plate Flowmeters AGA-3
Watch Out, it's Oxygen! Precautions for Choosing Flowmeters for Oxygen Service
Water well level measurement with Proteus EcoMeter
See related devices