Volume measurement from pressure transmitter

Pressure Q&A

I have a pressure device installed for level measurement, and now the operator wants to receive data on the tank volume. Can I do that using the pressure device?

Expert’s answer: Volume measurement from pressure transmitter

Yes, volume measurement from pressure transmitter is possible. But to enable volume measurement, you need to create a linearization table with the pressure in the X column and volume in the Y column. You also need the pressure per volume data and more time for the transmitter setup.


This information can enable the pressure transmitter to begin volume or mass measurement. So if you want a device that will do all that for you, there are many level radars on the market with that functionality built in.

Want more information? In that case, here are a few companies that offer them:

Other resources that might interest you

Pressure transmitter basics
What are the different types of pressure sensors available in the market?

Offset and slope for differential pressure transmitter?
I have to install and calibrate a Rosemount differential pressure transmitter. So, how do I do the offset and slope adjustment?

Radar or pressure transmitter?
Nowadays, I see a lot of recommendations to use radar for level measurement. So would it benefit me to switch from a pressure transmitter to a radar level meter?

Pressure transmitter level calculation
I have a 10-meter tank open to atmosphere, with a product density of 0.859 ρ. So, which type of pressure transmitter should I use for level measurement? And how do I calculate the level range?

Related tags: Differential of pressure Emerson Process Management Endress+Hauser mass level Pressure Pressure transmitter SMAR volume Yokogawa
Hi! It's nice to see you're interested
If you want to ask a question, or you want to contribute and reply to post, you have to sign in. Don't worry, we won't send you newsletters without your permission!
Volume measurement from pressure transmitter
What flow meter should I use in a water well?
Hazardous area and zone classification
How can I measure flow in low-conductivity products?
How to set up a Micro Motion 2700 FOUNDATION Fieldbus through the display
See related devices